Botolph Bridge lay beside an important crossing of the River Nene and was once part of a well-known medieval vill, mentioned 'Domesday Book'.
Earthwork survey in 1982 showed the site’s importance, with a church, manorial complex with house plots along a road, and fields beyond. Excavation revealed that the manorial enclosure had replaced earlier house plots by c.1200. In the later 14th century, there was considerable investment by the manorial holders, the Draytons. A manorial farm was built above earlier fields, with stone buildings constructed around a courtyard including a farmhouse, dovecote and ancillary buildings. All these buildings had been abandoned by c.1600. The church, was finally demolished in 1695.
Paul Spoerry , Rob Atkins, 2015. 'A Late Saxon Village and Medieval Manor: Excavations at Botolph Bridge, Orton Longueville, Peterborough', East Anglian Archaeology 153
The report is available for download from the publisher.